Rules & Regulations
**Payment in full must be received no later than January 31, 2019 for all competition dates with your entries in the form of a studio cheque or money order. Interac e-transfers are also accepted. No postdated cheques will be accepted. Late charge of 10% for all late entries.**
Every competition will be held on a first come first serve basis and will have a limited number of entries. At Kick It Up Dance Competition’s discretion, we reserve the right to refuse individual or studio entries.
• No limit of entries per studio. However, a minimum of 10 groups and 20 entries in total must be registered in order to be included in the Studio Overall Standings (competitive and pre-competitive categories only)
• Competition could be 1 to 4 days. Competitor must compete on scheduled day and time.
• Dancers may not compete against themselves in any category or age division. However, routines from the same studio may compete against each other [Note: only 1/2 can be the same dancers]. Soloists and Duet/Trios (100% same dancers) cannot win more than one overall in the same category and age division.
• You will receive confirmation of your entries from our office via email with a preliminary schedule. All changes are to be made at this time, and emailed to the Kick It Up office. The final schedule will be sent one to two weeks prior to the event. NO CHANGES PERMITTED ONCE FINAL SCHEDULE IS SENT. This rule will be strictly enforced.
• Any additional entries included after final schedule is sent will perform and receive a score. However, they will not be placed in the overalls. Independent entries will not be included in overalls.
• Competitors should be ready to perform 1 hour before their scheduled time, in case competition is ahead of schedule.
• Dancing out of order is not allowed, except for costume changes and Final Hour Performances, which must be verified by the show director or backstage manager. A minimum of 15 minutes (5 numbers) will be scheduled for costume changes. Routines asked to perform out of order may result in deductions. Dancers or studios causing unwarranted delays to the set schedule may receive further deductions.
• Kick It Up Dance Competition Inc. reserves the right to move a competition location or to add/subtract days due to unforeseen circumstances. If enough entries are not received by Kick It Up, we reserve the right to cancel any competition.
• All prize money is awarded to the studio only! A studio representative must be present at overall award ceremony to receive placement ribbons, trophies, medals, etc. Also, all studio reports and music must be picked up at the end of the competition. Kick It Up will not incur any shipping and/or mailing expenses.
• A competitor making a second attempt to a routine may be judged, but not eligible for overalls, Novice, Playhouse division is excluded from this rule but only one 2nd attempt is allowed. If a second attempt is made for Pre-Competitive or Competitive they will not be included in overalls.
• Only teachers and studio approved prop assistants can be backstage, all others will be asked to leave. Dancers are not allowed backstage, unless your routine is within the next 3 to 4 numbers.
• PROPS are allowed at Kick It Up and must be placed and removed within 2 minutes. You will be required to fill out the Prop section during entry process. PROHIBITED PROPS: No dangerous props to be used on stage, such as fire, swords or knives. Props must be freestanding. Scenery or backdrops requiring the use of theatre fly bars or special lighting are not to be used. Helium balloons, special fog, and smoke are not permitted. Larger props are to be handled by the studio. Kick It Up staff is not responsible for any props. If the stage is littered after your performance with feathers, confetti, etc, you should be prepared to remove it immediately following the routine. No form of liquid, gel, aerosol, paint, or glitter may be used that would affect the dancing surface.
• One hand held wireless mic (no stand) will be provided.
• PHOTOGRAPHY and Video taping are strictly prohibited. Kick It Up is giving the media to all parents. (Video & Pictures) No camera of any kind can be used during a performance. Since our events are “open door policy” we cannot monitor the possible attendance of people of “questionable” nature. We urge all studio owners, teachers and especially parents to keep our child performers photographically SAFE. If a camera is being used in the audience, a Kick It Up staff member will address the photographer personally with discretion. Failure to comply with this rule could result in disqualification! To redeem your media after the event go to www.media.competitionwizard.com
BACKDROP SUBMISSION RULES: Dance schools now can submit a background that can be put on our video wall for their dance (select locations only)
Pictures ONLY No videos. .png and jpeg files (1 picture per dance)
Limited to groups ONLY. Limit of 5 per studio
No studio logos or names on image
Kick It Up logo will overlay all images
Files MUST be submitted no later than 2 weeks before competition date (No Images accepted on site)
Kick It Up reserves the right to deny any submission.
• Kick It Up Dance Competition Inc.. makes every effort to align with reputable vendors (photographers, videographers, etc.) at various events. However, Kick It Up is not responsible for any unfulfilled orders resulting in a financial loss for the customer that may be caused as a direct result from the business practice of any of its vendors.
• It is understood that by entering the competition, competitors, parents, teachers, and directors give their permission to Kick It Up Dance Competition Ltd. to use their pictures and perfomances for advertising or promotional material (e.g. Brochures, competition programs, website, television. video, etc). If anyone does not want their picture to be used, please advise Kick It Up in writing.
• Any questions or concerns regarding routines should be brought to the attention of the show director, by teacher or studio director ONLY.
• FAMILY FRIENDLY POLICY: Kick It Up Dance Competition is dedicated to providing an environment that is FAMILY FRIENDLY. We realize that dance is an art form and crosses a broad range of styles and tastes. However, movements, music and costuming must be age appropriate and suitable for family viewing. If a routine or costuming is deemed too suggestive or not age appropriate, deductions will be taken. The use of dance themes such as rape, suicide, domestic violence, murder, sex, anorexia and dark undertones chosen and/or presented to audiences with a lack of “artisitic discretion” is considered inappropriate. Again, we recognize this is extremely subjective and senstive. Therefore, Kick It Up will individually address these perfomances as they surface at each particular event.
• THEATRE ETIQUETTE: Studio directors please pass along to your clients the importance of good social behaviour during events. EX. Keeping debris to a minimum in change rooms, rehearsal halls, etc. NO eating or drinking in the theatre and/or stage area and PLEASE follow instructions printed on any signage posted.
• No refunds are issued once fees have been paid. Credit will be issued for future Kick It Up entries in case of illness (with Doctors note).
• No smoking, eating or drinking in the competition area.
• At Kick It Up Dance Competition the decisions of the judges are final, the manner and method of the judging is solely within the discretion of Kick It Up Dance Competition and its judging panel.
• All scores resulting in ties will be broken by the judges.
• Upon entering Kick It Up Dance Competition, it is agreed that teachers, competitors, parents, and relatives will not hold Kick It Up Dance Competition Ltd. directors, employees, the host facility and all involved in the competition responsible or liable for any damages, loss or personal injury which they may sustain while participating in any activity connected with this competition, no matter how caused, to either spectators or contestants. Dancers compete at their own risk.
• Teachers and studio directors are responsible to ensure that all tricks and movements performed by their dancers are technically appropriate to each dancer’s level or ability. Kick It Up Dance Competition Ltd. and the host facility will not be held responsible for any injury that may be sustained during any dancers’ performances.
• Music must be submitted online using the website one week before the event. All back up music must be on USB and handed in the morning before competition. Be sure to label all backup devices with the studio name. All teachers are responsible for selection of their music and must be suitable with appropriate lyrics (NO profanity).
• VIRTUAL FINALS: Once your registration is complete, your entries will automatically be entered into our Virtual Finals for FREE. This is a web cast event whereby all routines from each regional event will compete for the annual overall titles and cash scholarships. Your score from the regional event is tabulated with all data from our season. Top 10 scoring routines are announced during the web cast show in June. Including announcement of our Top Studios of 2020
• The Kick It Up Dance Competition rules will be evaluated and enforced on an individual basis, based on what is deemed best for all parties involved.
• Kick It Up Dance competition would like to remind all participants of the importance of “GOOD SPORTSMANSHIP” and conformance to the rules, with proper consideration for fairness, ethics, respect, and a sense of fellowship with one’s competitors. Being a “good sport” involves being a “good winner” as well as being a “good loser”. Please bring this philosophy with you.
• Rules and Regulations are subject to change at any time without notice.